Best approach to string theory
Holger Bomm
2005-09-25 23:57:46 UTC
Hi!

So far I haven't found any thread dealing with the question of what
would be the best approach to string theory for a physics student
who wants to learn more about string theory, starting from zero.

Obviously, string theory is a "phenomenon" in popular sciences that
focuses the interest of the public tremendously and at the same time
is extremely difficult to handle on a purely scientific level. So I
think that the above question is of great importance.

As a student of physics I would love to know what I should focuse on
in my studies if I am interested in working on the string theory later
in my life. Is it easy to find out whether one really has the intel-
lectual capacity to be working successfully on this field?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

Best regards
Holger
Jeff L Jones
2005-09-29 11:56:25 UTC
Post by Holger Bomm
As a student of physics I would love to know what I should focuse on
in my studies if I am interested in working on the string theory later
in my life.
Take a lot of math classes in addition to the usual physics classes.
Particularly useful would be complex analysis, topology, linear algebra,
abstract algebra, and differential geometry. If you're wanting to work
on the more abstract parts of string theory, then also take some algebraic
topology or algebraic geometry.

Post by Holger Bomm
lectual capacity to be working successfully on this field?
No. My impression (as a graduate student, just beginning to learn some
string theory) is that most people entering the field will not find this
out until they're at least a postdoc. Maybe a professor. But I suppose
there are many chances along the way to realize it's *not* going to work
out!
--
Jeff L Jones