Can higgs-like potential be derived from string phenomenology?
y***@fas.harvard.edu
2006-06-22 02:25:21 UTC
I just wonder if there are any known models that suggest higgs-like
potential (Sigma a phi_a^2-constant)^2 in string phenomenology.
A***@gmail.com
2006-07-15 10:51:35 UTC
Post by y***@fas.harvard.edu
I just wonder if there are any known models that suggest higgs-like
potential (Sigma a phi_a^2-constant)^2 in string phenomenology.
I guess they rely on the subyacent supersymmetrical phenomenology. In
susy it is usual to generate a higgs like potential by using the
renormalisation group so that the mass square term becomes negative
when coming to the scale of the top quark. The trick, discovered by
Ibañez time ago, works precisaly because the top mass is far from the
other ones.

In extra dimensional, non string theories, the higgs field is sometimes
associated to the extra dimension, specially when this dimension is
discrete.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Jack Tremarco
2006-07-15 10:52:23 UTC
Post by y***@fas.harvard.edu
I just wonder if there are any known models that suggest higgs-like
potential (Sigma a phi_a^2-constant)^2 in string phenomenology.
The D-term potential you write is completely natural in supersymmetric
gauge theories in four dimensions with at most eight supercharges (N <=
2). These gauge theories can be realized on a Hanany-Witten type brane
configuration in type IIA. Turning on the potential is accomplished by
introducing a Fayet-Iliopoulos parameter for the diagonal U(1) factor
of the gauge group. In the brane setup this corresponds to breaking
each color D4 on a flavor D6 and removing the two halves of the brane
configuration a finite distance in a flat direction of the internal
space. From this geometry it is clear that the Higgs phase emanates
from one specific point on the Coulomb branch and exists only if N_f >=
N_c.

Sixteen conserved supercharges in 4d (N=4) would force the potential to
be flat. Hence the restriction I mentioned.