Tachyons can change topology
Lubos Motl
2005-02-03 03:03:05 UTC
http://motls.blogspot.com/2005/02/tachyons-can-change-topology.html

In the last 2 hours, Allan Adams just told us about his supernew paper

* Adams, Liu, McGreevy, Saltman, Silverstein

and because I think that it is definitely an interesting paper, let me say
a couple of words.

Imagine that you take a type II string theory and compactify it down to 8
dimensions, on a two-dimensional genus "g" Riemann surface.

Well, unless "g=1", it is a non-conformal theory, so you will have to deal
with a time-dependent background. Let's not worry. Let's assume the string
coupling to be weak throughout the story.

Imagine that you start with a genus 2 Riemann surface. It can degenerate
into two genus 1 Riemann surfaces connected by a thin tube. The circle
wrapped around this tube is homologically trivial, and you can show that
the fermions will be antiperiodic around it: it will be a
Scherk-Schwarz/Rohm compactification on a thermal circle. The reason for
the antiperiodicity is the same like the reason that the closed strings in
the NS-NS sector must have antiperiodic boundary conditions for the
fermions assuming that the corresponding operators in the "z" plane don't
introduce any branch cuts.

OK, imagine that the tube is very long. Because of the antiperiodic
boundary conditions, the sign of the GSO condition in the sectors with odd
windings is reverted, and one can find some tachyons there assuming that
the radius is small enough so that the winding is not enough to make the
squared mass positive. Equivalently, one can T-dualize along the
circumference of the tube to obtain some sort of type 0 theory which has a
bulk tachyon if the radius in the type 0 picture is large enough. Go
exactly near the point where the first tachyon in the "w=1" sector starts
to evolve. It's the first perturbative instability you encounter.

These guys then argue that the most obvious time evolution will take
place. The tachyons start to get condensed, and the handle will pinch off.
It can be seen as a perturbative instability although it is probably
continuously connected to the non-perturbative stability called the Witten
bubble, and they use various CFT techniques, Ricci flows, RG flows, N=1
and N=2 worldsheet supersymmetry to study the process quantitatively. They
argue that the two ends of the tube don't talk to each other - the strings
can't propagate through the critical region where the topology change
takes place. I am not gonna write the math here because you can open the
paper.

Such a process can reduce the genus of a Riemann surface. Recall the
picture with Brian Greene's breakfast on PBS/NOVA: the topology of the
coffee cup and the doughnut are identical, but once Brian bites doughnut,
it is going to become a sphere. In this case, the TV program is exact, not
just a lower-dimensional analogy of the conifold transition. ;-)

The same process, however, can divide a higher genus Riemann surface into
pieces that don't interact at all. The world decays into pieces - baby
universes and similar stuff. A lot of interesting stuff happens from the
low-energy effective theory viewpoint - doubling of gravity, decoupling of
various modes, gaps emerging and disappearing, and many other things. Note
that spacetime supersymmetry is broken, but one can arrange the parameters
of the geometry in such a way that the evolution is more or less
controllable.

I still believe that similar kinds of topology changing transitions may
eventually destabilize or eliminate most of the "landscape". If you start
with a too convoluted Calabi-Yau space with fluxes, there will be many
modes how it can decay - it is potentially able to split into two (or
more) Calabi-Yau pieces. Instead of the 2-dimensional handles of the
cylindrical type, there may be many higher-dimensional analogues of the
cylinder although most of us so far seem to have trouble to find working
higher-dimensional examples. Such processes do not have to be too likely,
but there are just many channels in which such a complicated Calabi-Yau
space can decay - the number of channels is large because the number of
"simpler" minima in the landscape is claimed to be large as well. This
largeness is, I believe, self-destructive for the landscape.

My intuition is that such a decay tends to simplify the homology of both
final products - i.e. reduce their Hodge numbers. This is a reason to
believe that the Calabi-Yaus with very small Hodge numbers will be
preferred. Braun, He, Ovrut, Pantev have found a quasi-unique heterotic
standard model based on a Calabi-Yau with h^{1,1}=h^{2,1}=3. Three is the
smallest positive integer after one and two - a pretty good choice.
Assuming that there is something right about this and previous paragraph,
Braun et al. have a pretty good chance that they have found the theory of
everything. ;-)

Meanwhile, Adams et al. have made useful steps to understand tachyons in
string theory. Note that these new understood tachyons start to look like
bulk tachyons. The first understood tachyons were open tachyons (Sen and
others); then people (APS; but also Headrick) continued with the closed
string twisted tachyons; now they're getting into the bulk.

Comments welcome.
E-mail: ***@matfyz.cz fax: +1-617/496-0110 Web: http://lumo.matfyz.cz/
eFax: +1-801/454-1858 work: +1-617/384-9488 home: +1-617/868-4487 (call)
Webs: http://schwinger.harvard.edu/~motl/ http://motls.blogspot.com/
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Urs Schreiber
2005-02-03 09:15:51 UTC
Post by Lubos Motl
I still believe that similar kinds of topology changing transitions may
eventually destabilize or eliminate most of the "landscape". If you start
with a too convoluted Calabi-Yau space with fluxes, there will be many
modes how it can decay - it is potentially able to split into two (or
more) Calabi-Yau pieces.
That sounds interesting. Is this just a guess or are there specific
indications that the work that you summarized should generalize this way?
Post by Lubos Motl
My intuition is that such a decay tends to simplify the homology of both
final products - i.e. reduce their Hodge numbers. This is a reason to
believe that the Calabi-Yaus with very small Hodge numbers will be
preferred. Braun, He, Ovrut, Pantev have found a quasi-unique heterotic
standard model based on a Calabi-Yau with h^{1,1}=h^{2,1}=3. Three is the
smallest positive integer after one and two - a pretty good choice.
Assuming that there is something right about this and previous paragraph,
Braun et al. have a pretty good chance that they have found the theory of
everything. ;-)
This was discussed already in another thread, but there I forgot to ask:

In which sense is the model "quasi-unique"? (I haven't even looked at the
paper yet.) I guess there are some natural assumptions A,B,C,... which
are satisfied only by that particular CY? What are these assumptions?
Is this about closed bosonic string tachyons?
Lubos Motl
2005-02-03 17:07:39 UTC
Post by Urs Schreiber
That sounds interesting. Is this just a guess or are there specific
indications that the work that you summarized should generalize this way?
Unfortunately, it is my private comment and I have no particular geometric
& quantitative models for the scenario at this moment. In fact, one can
show that various "easy to imagine" instabilities with respect to topology
change are certainly absent - for example, they are absent in the AdS SUSY
vacua themselves, aren't they? There is nothing like the generalized
antiperiodic boundary conditions of the fermions around a "tube".

Is it excluded that the KKLT extra anti-D3-branes, for example, that turn
AdS into dS, may lead to some mixed instantons that both change the
topology but also do something about the fluxes?
Post by Urs Schreiber
In which sense is the model "quasi-unique"? (I haven't even looked at the
paper yet.) I guess there are some natural assumptions A,B,C,... which
are satisfied only by that particular CY? What are these assumptions?
It is the only model within a big program of these authors that contains
MSSM only at low energies, without new exotics (unobserved particles
charged under the Standard Model group, such as "leptoquarks"). You should
read their paper(s).
Post by Urs Schreiber
Is this about closed bosonic string tachyons?
Was my text so terribly incomprehensible, or did you reply without reading
even my simplified abstract? It's type II string theory compactified on a
Riemann surface down to 8 dimensions. At the long tubes, it is equivalent
to type 0 theory by T-duality. It's still important that the tachyon
condensation only starts when the thickness of the tube decreases below a
critical value - there should not be any "truly" bulk tachyon (such as one
in bosonic string theory), otherwise their new paper has nothing to say
about it.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
R.X.
2005-02-03 12:33:45 UTC
Lubos wrote:

"I still believe that similar kinds of topology changing transitions
may eventually destabilize or eliminate most of the "landscape".
If you start with a too convoluted Calabi-Yau space with fluxes,
there will be many modes how it can decay - it is potentially able
to split into two (or more) Calabi-Yau pieces. Instead of the
2-dimensional handles of the cylindrical type, there may be many
higher-dimensional analogues of the cylinder although most of us
so far seem to have trouble to find working higher-dimensional
examples. Such processes do not have to be too likely, but there
are just many channels in which such a complicated Calabi-Yau space
can decay - the number of channels is large because the number of
"simpler" minima in the landscape is claimed to be large as well.
This largeness is, I believe, self-destructive for the landscape.
"

I wouldn't see why such a decay would be energetically possible -
where are the tachyons in CY compactifications ? Ordinary CY
compactifications tend to have supersymmetric vacuum states with
energy zero, so why should anything decay ? And BTW, it is known
that all CY's are connected by extremal transitions and so are
(non-perturbatively) continuously connected - no need to talk about
tachyons here.
Lubos Motl
2005-02-03 17:36:47 UTC
Post by R.X.
I wouldn't see why such a decay would be energetically possible -
where are the tachyons in CY compactifications ?
I am not really thinking about the detailed work by Allan et al. where the
decay is perturbative, but about a generalized "Witten bubble". Yes, I
don't see right now how to identify the analogue of the "Scherk-Schwarz
circle" or its higher-dimensional analogue that could lead to such
instabilities.
Post by R.X.
Ordinary CY compactifications tend to have supersymmetric vacuum
states with energy zero, so why should anything decay ?
Sure. These CY compactifications are also phenomenologically
uninteresting. The realistic vacua are dS vacua obtained by adding
something to the original SUSY vacuum - like those KKLT anti-D3-branes -
and such additions may destabilize the background even under topology
change, unless you have a proof that it can't occur.
Post by R.X.
And BTW, it is known that all CY's are connected by extremal
transitions and so are (non-perturbatively) continuously connected -
no need to talk about tachyons here.
Right. Incidentally, is it excluded that a conifold-like transition could
split a Calabi-Yau into pieces? It's probably a trivial question, and the
answer is probably that it can't happen. Can someone tell me why?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Volker Braun
2005-02-03 23:12:02 UTC
Post by Lubos Motl
Post by R.X.
And BTW, it is known that all CY's are connected by extremal
transitions and so are (non-perturbatively) continuously connected
I'd agree if you would replace "known" by "believed". Or did I miss the
proof?
Post by Lubos Motl
Incidentally, is it excluded that a conifold-like transition could
split a Calabi-Yau into pieces? It's probably a trivial question, and the
answer is probably that it can't happen. Can someone tell me why?
By definition, an extremal transition is a blow down, followed by
deformation of the singularity. The blow down preserves connectedness. The
deformation (on a complex threefold) is surgery in (real) codimension
three, hence preserves connectedness. Only surgery in codimension one can
split a manifold in two.

-Volker
Aaron Bergman
2005-02-04 11:21:03 UTC
Post by Volker Braun
Post by R.X.
And BTW, it is known that all CY's are connected by extremal
transitions and so are (non-perturbatively) continuously connected
I'd agree if you would replace "known" by "believed". Or did I miss the
proof?
Has it even been proven for hypersurfaces in toric varieties, much less
complete intersections?

Aaron
R.X.
2005-02-04 11:34:30 UTC
<
I'd agree if you would replace "known" by "believed". Or did I miss the

proof?
Hi Volker,

there are very strong indications for that. Of course, since the
space of all CY's is (to my knowledge) not known, one cannot say
much definite about that, but the statement is true essentially for
all the "known" classes of CY's like for example, complete intersection
CICY's. For details, see eg: http://arXiv.org/abs/hep-th/9511230

-W
Volker Braun
2005-02-05 02:13:45 UTC
Hi W.,
[...] the statement is true essentially
for all the "known" classes of CY's like for example, complete
intersection CICY's.
I would not be too surprised if it works for complete intersections in
toric varieties, but I tend to think that these are special. If you
leave the realm of complete intersections very little is known (please
correct :-). For example, take the Beauville manifold, is it connected to
any other known CY threefold?

-Volker
timmy
2005-02-21 01:09:06 UTC
To split a CY dynamically, the first question is to identify moduli
where it 'splits'. The definition for this should be that physical
modes propagating in two different regions decouple.
Only surgery in codimension one can split a manifold in two.
Does it matter how this looks geometrically for example what the
dimension of the 'intermediate tube' is ? At first sight no. At second
thought one needs a barrier that prevents the gravity modes of
decaying into the tube and a low dimension of the tube might be
helpful, but neither necessary nor sufficient.
I still believe that similar kinds of topology changing transitions may
eventually destabilize or eliminate most of the "landscape". If you start
with a too convoluted Calabi-Yau space with fluxes, there will be many
modes how it can decay - it is potentially able to split into two (or
more) Calabi-Yau pieces.
First, why should we consider a splitting within CY moduli spaces at
all ? Adding potentials, does not preserve the CY concept, that is the
solution of EOM may be at a non CY metric. If for some reason we stick
to CY, I don't see why a generic flux should drive the geometry to
special 'split' moduli in the CY, as compared to a generic point in the
interior of the moduli. It does not matter how 'convoluted' the
background is. In addition a 'split' configuration would be almost
with certainty at infinite distance, at least in the usual metric. One
would then need an extra effect that renders the distance finite in the
physical metric.

I am not saying that topology changes are unlikely, but I guess one
needs a framework beyond a 'decay of convoluted CY spaces into CY
pieces' and probably new math.